Sean Spicer, United and Pepsi. What do they all have in common? Apologies. Here’s what businesses should recognize while preparing to issue a statement:
• Timeliness – When is it appropriate to make the statement? Determine if you need to let the dust settle, focus on solving the problem or get your word out ASAP.
• What happened – Address what happened. Vagueness portrays apathy and a lack of knowledge.
• Those affected – Provide updates on all involved and what’s being done for them.
• Why it happened – Was it company policy? A mistake? Set the record straight yourself.
• Apologize – Take responsibility and make it sincere.
– Natalie Ghidotti, Ghidotti Communications