On August 24, 1818, the Quapaw Line was drawn as part of the treaty between the U.S. and Quapaw tribe. The line from La Petite Roche heading south separated the Quapaw and public lands. Eventually, the Quapaw were forced off of their lands.
The line continued serving as an important marker for surveyors, and the treaty is the first official use of “Little Rock” to describe the area. The name Little Rock was given to the post office established in March 1820.
A display at La Petite Roche Plaza commemorates the Quapaw Line, and markers show the path downtown.
– Scott Carter, City of Little Rock