The Butler Center for Arkansas Studies will host its annual Genealogy Workshop July 22 at the Ron Robinson Theater. Prepare with these tips:
1. Start with what you know — family names, residence, occupations, etc.
2. Confirm places of residence by researching the known city, state or country.
3. Begin placing residents in the home. Siblings? Friends? Hired help?
4. Look for proof via tax records, birth certificates, etc.
5. Remember the history. Was there a war at the time? Civil rights movements? Medical epidemics?
6. Recognize cultural behaviors of the eras. How would lifestyles be different?
7. Verify. Verify. Verify.
– Maeghen Carter, Ghidotti Communications