Although it opened in 1886, 130 years ago, the hauntings started after 1938 when Norman Baker turned the hotel into a hospital and health resort for cancer patients. It closed in 1940 when Baker was convicted of mail fraud.
Sightings of ghosts include those of Baker, cancer patients and an Irish stone mason named Michael. During ghost tours, his room 218 features a “ghost,” who greets guests.
The hotel has been featured on Discovery and SyFy’s “Ghost Hunters.”