The Arkansas Governor’s Mansion, located in the Quapaw District, was established by an act of the state legislature. Prior to the mansion’s opening in 1950, Arkansas did not have an official residence for the governor of the state.
In 1945, the Arkansas Federation of Women’s Clubs began a campaign for housing the governor, and in 1947, Act 257 created the Governor’s Mansion Commission.
Construction lasted two years, and the mansion was opened on Jan. 10, 1950. The public was invited to tour the mansion before Governor Sidney S. McMath and his wife, Anne, moved into the mansion on Feb. 3.
– Alfred Warren, Ghidotti Communications