Mental health issues such as depression and anxiety are often not addressed in the workplace until there’s a crisis. Interventions and practices that promote good mental health in the workplace can include:
• Implementing and enforcing health and safety policies and practices, including identification of distress and harmful use of drugs and alcohol.
• Communicating to employees that support is available through an employee assistance program or other resource.
• Involving employees in decision-making, conveying a feeling of control and participation.
• Organizational practices that support a healthy work-life balance.
• Offering programs for career development.
• Recognizing and rewarding the contributions of employees.
– Chris Keene, Ghidotti Communcations